Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Furke? Bert? Brooke?

I NEVER dreamed Burke would be a difficult name. I mean it is simple. At least we think. I know it isn't a common name. I know it is a surname. I realize it isn't on the top 10 or even top 100 names. But I love it!

I am totally amazed and annoyed with the people who can't figure out Burke's name. When I tell people his name, I say, "Burke, with a K". I usually get this response, "is it a family name?" Nope. Just a name we like! God forbid that the person asking be over 60. If they are over 60 you will never convince them his name is not Bert! Yesterday the health department called regarding B's whooping cough. This is how it went...
Me: Hello
Lady: Can I speak with Woolen's mom?
Me: This is Burke Woolen's mom
Lady: I am calling to get info on Woolen's Pertussis.
Me: Ok. My son's name is Burke his last name is Woolen..the lady paused.
Lady: I need some info on your son.

Now I knew Burke was a surname...but isn't Burke more of a first name than Woolen??

Another time Burke was called Furke! Really? You really think I would name my son Furke?

The doctor's office always calls him Brooke. Just ask me...I'll proudly tell you his name is Burke, with a K!

3 comments:

  1. I love Burke's name - it's unusual without being weird. One of my most favorite teachers was Mrs. Burke, from fifth grade. And his name will serve you so well when he's in high school and you can poke him in the chest, looking up at him, and tell him, "Quit being a jerk, Burke!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furke!!!! Hilarious. I'll going to have to start calling him little Furkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is B-dub still okay? I just get the strange face with the questioning tone "Piper!? wow. never heard that before."

    ReplyDelete